cASE STUDY: NAMING RIGHTS
TCL CHINESE THEATRE
Chinese Theatres, LLC sought a naming rights partner for their Grauman’s Chinese Theatre to help upgrade the landmark destination in grand fashion. The owners hoped to not only maintain the landmark’s legacy, but planned to implement numerous restoration projects that would require millions of dollars annually. Complicating the process were restrictions on changes to exterior signage on an historic and cultural landmark that draws over four million visitors annually.
While Chinese Theatres, LLC focused their efforts on ensuring the Theatre remained the top movie premiere and event location, Premier focused on obtaining a partner with ties to the film and entertainment business, who respected the history of the landmark, and whose brand fit with the Chinese architecture and name.
Premier created innovative sponsorship opportunities and prepared a valuation that yielded a comprehensive naming rights package including hospitality, on-site sales, advertising and digital components. Premier executives focused their outreach to film and entertainment industry leaders and Chinese companies seeking to enter the North American market. They set-up numerous calls, meetings and on-site entertainment experiences during movie premieres with key domestic and international decision makers.
- Interested multiple highly qualified candidates with ties to Hollywood
- Conducted face-to-face meetings and presentations with senior level executives to convey the value proposition and creative vision of the Theatres’ ownership
- Designed VIP hospitality for decision makers to experience first-hand the exclusive red carpet access their employees, clients, and prospects would receive
- Negotiated simultaneously with the final candidate companies that would be the best fit for Grauman’s Chinese Theatre naming rights
- Signed a long-term contract with a multi-million dollar annual investment and announced the new name within seven months of engaging Premier
- Premier’s process and results far exceeded Chinese Theatres’ owners expectations
- The TCL Chinese Theatre ushered one of China’s largest electronics manufacturers into the North American market, serving as a platform to showcase and sell TCL’s products and strengthen their presence in the film and entertainment industry